Commodore Perry Estate, Auberge Resorts Collection
- Clayton Korte
Originally the home of Edgar and Lutie Perry, this 10-acre property was designed by Henry Bowers Thompson between 1917 and 1928 as a transportive oasis in the middle of Austin. Inspired by the owners’ vast European travels, a series of formal gardens along with a large Italianate mansion and carriage house were built along Waller Creek. A stone wall enclosed the entire compound.
The 10,600-square-foot Italian Renaissance Revival mansion is surrounded with terraces, parterres and fountains, and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Intricately carved wood and plaster moulding, hand-wrought ironwork and limestone details combine with Mexican-style tile work for an overall ornate effect. In its day, the estate set a new precedent in Austin for gracious entertaining. Perry sold the estate in 1944, declaring that the mansion was: “A great place to throw a party, but too big to live in.”
In a collaboration between interior designer Ken Fulk and Ten Eyck Landscape Architects, Clayton & Little has returned the historic components of the property to their former glory and built a new restaurant to serve as a backdrop to the magnificent historic gardens. These efforts are part of a new destination resort and private club, The Commodore Perry Estate, due to open this summer by Auberge as part of its prestigious Resorts Collection.
Architecture (Mansion, Chapel, Carriage House, and Restaurant): Clayton & Little
Architecture (Hotel): Moule & Polyzoides
Interior Design: Ken Fulk
General Contractor: Rogers O’Brien
Landscape Architect: Ten Eyck Landscape Architects