The Clark: Museum Building
- Selldorf Architects
- 225 South Street, 01267 Williamstown, MA
- 1-5 Stories
The Clark’s master plan distributes museum, library, and ancillary functions across its campus in new ways. Selldorf Architects as Design Architect, working with Gensler as Executive Architect are responsible for the renovation and expansion of the two existing buildings on the site: the Museum Building and the Manton Research Center. Perhaps the most critical task was providing a logical link to the new campus circulation, as well as making sense of the very different architectural vocabularies. The renovation of the original 1955 Museum entails a new western orientated entry gallery, dedicated galleries for Decorative Arts, more fluid circulation, and the integration of new mechanical and lighting systems resulting in a refreshed and simplified neo-classical interior. The Manton Research Center was completed in 1973 by Pietro Belluschi with The Architects Collaborative, to house the Institute’s substantial art history library, galleries, auditorium, and administrative offices. The renovation includes recasting the central visitor services atrium as a new public reading room. A tall cube at 40' x 40' x 40', the new Reading Room incorporates a new mezzanine level for the storage and display of books. Additionally a new Study Center for Works on Paper is connected to refurbished galleries on the main level.